Wednesday, July 17, 2013

At MEA 2013

This year's annual meeting of the Media Ecology Association was held at Grand Valley State University, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, June 20-23, 2013, hosted and coordinated by my good friends Corey Anton and Valerie Peterson.  Here they are welcoming us:




 















And Blog Time Passing being my official blog of record, I thought I'd share a few photos of my activities there, taken by Robert Francos.

First and foremost was my Keynote Address delivered on Thursday evening, June 20th.  Here's current MEA president Thom Gencarelli introducing me:





And a couple of shots of me providing some opening remarks before the lights turned down for my PowerPoint presentation (more on this in another post):








And now into the presention:





And just after the conclusion:






I rather like that one, don't you? 

 And here's a shot of the audience during the question and answer session that followed the address:





Anyway, this was the year for PowerPoint, at least as far as I was concerned, as here I am at a breakout session on Sat. June 22nd, doing the Pecha Kucha.





 You may recall that I have previously prepared two presentations, originally presented at the New York State Communication Association's annual conferences for the last two years, and that I later recorded them as YouTube videos, and posted about them here under the titles of The Word (A Pecha Kucha on the Walter Ong Centenary) and The Medium Is....  I repeated both of them at our session.


Finally, this was the first year that I was not the coordinator of the MEA's awards, and the sneaks went behind my back and presented me with the Walter Ong Award for Career Achievement in Scholarship.  Here I am accepting the award from Brian Cogan, who took over as coordinator this year:





And then saying some thanks yous:







And that about sums up what was another outstanding event, and certainly an especially memorable one for me!


1 comment: