Saturday, November 29, 2008

Eight Bits About Digital Communication, Media, and Culture

So, let's take a break from Alfred Korzbyski and general semantics, and take a look at some YouTubers I uploaded a couple of weeks ago.

Back in 2005, I was one of several keynote speakers at the
V Bienal Iberoamericana de la Communicación, a Latin American conference held every two years, on the subject of communication technologies and new media. Hosting this event were my friends at Technológico de Monterrey, Campus Estado de México, which is in the metropolitan area of Mexico City. The conference took place on Sept. 20-22, 2005, and my talk was on the last day, along with Eric McLuhan, my friend Paul Lippert, and Liss Jeffrey from Toronto.

As you can see from the video, they put a lot of time, money, and effort into the set up, there were about a thousand folks in the audience, and they had great production values for the videotaping. And this event set the stage for the Media Ecology Association convention they hosted in 2007, about which I posted numerous times--remember the ME(A)xico!

Anyway, the title of the address is "Eight Bits About Digital Communication," there's a Spanish language introduction, but my talk is in English. It's long, I have to warn you, but then again YouTube requirements forced me to break it up into segments of ten minutes or less, so there are eight for you to view at your leisure (or not at all, of course).

So, enough explication, let's go to the videotape:


















And that pretty much says it all. Time for some pizza, I'd say--go on, have a bite!

1 comment:

Mike Plugh said...

I'm looking forward to watching this. The convenience of breaking this up into 8 segments is that I can watch a few, take care of business, and return to watch the rest. If it were one long YouTube clip, without chapters (or edits if you prefer), it might be difficult to pick up where I left off.

I know you hate to hear the term 'text' used in reference to non-literary material (as do I), but there are some similarities here....where's my video bookmark? ;)