Sunday, October 2, 2011

Good Coverage

So, it occurs to me that I ought to share a bit of my own design work here on Blog Time Passing.  

When it came time to create a program cover for my Media @ the Center Marshall McLuhan Centenary at Fordham University on September 17, I turned to wordle.net, which provides a great online resource for creating attractive word clouds.  For some older examples, see my previous posts not here word art, Media Conversations Wordle, and MEA--As the Wordle Turns).  

This time around, I used some advanced techniques, working it out over an extended period of time to get the size, position, and color of the words just right.  Along with many of the key phrases associated with McLuhan, including his book titles, the cover also includes all of the names of the participants.  Most of the text is in black, but the key terms that identify the symposium are in a shade of maroon that approximates Fordham University's school color.

And so, without further ado, here is the cover I came up with:



And yeah, I guess I am pretty proud of it.  What do you think, did I done good?

So, then I thought about the back cover, and had a great idea, using just a simply flip tool from the Macintosh's Preview program, I came up with something I thought was pretty McLuhanesque:




Hey, it's the rearview mirror, and the fourth law of media, which is reversal.  What more could you ask for?

Well, don't worry, I do not have any pretensions about being an artist.  I've never been especially talented in that respect.  I'm just glad that I can come up with something interesting and reasonably attractive with the help of online digital media.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy about the way it turned out, but yeah, don't worry, I won't quit my day job.


No comments: