Saturday, March 1, 2008

Iconicity

One of the many interesting things that happen on MySpace and elsewhere on the internet is that people play with their own images, and those of others. I thought I'd add a short post here sharing some of the ways that my MySpace friends have turned me into an icon.

The first one was produced by a friend named Alexander last year. At the time, he was transforming his "top friends" (those few selected to be displayed on your profile page) into versions of Garbage Pail Kids. In case you somehow, inexplicably missed it, Garbage Pail Kids were a set of trading cards put out by Topps, the company best known for their baseball cards, as a parody of the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. There's actually a Garbage Pail Kids World site, but that's besides the point, which is to share with you the card that Alexander made for me:




Flattering, wouldn't you say? Well, it's all in good fun.

The next image was created by my friend Voo, or as she's lists her profile, The House of Voo. This was in response to the poem that MySpace poet Moses the One and Only (aka Moses the Holy Dude) posted about me, Spa(w)n, which featured an animated image of a fish in a bowl. You might remember that I previously mentioned that poem in my post last month, On Plagiarism, because Spa(w)n was a sympathetic response to my poem, Our Plague Days. Anyway, Voo ran with the fish theme, and put me inside the fishbowl:




For some reason, on MySpace this works as an animated gif on MySpace, and the water shimmers, but that's not the case when it's copied. So I'll reproduce it here through another method to retain its flow:





Actually, that's a pretty cool effect, don' t you think? Oh, and it has a title, "Lance in a Tank" if you please!

Anyway, the next two were photoshopped by another friend, Misha, who produces these kinds of images for a number of her friends. This first one she titled "Lance - le penseur" (that's French, you know, for the thinker):






Very cosmic, n'est-ce pas? So's the other pic she produced, which she called "Lance - creation" (can't get much more cosmological than that, can you?):





Well, obviously, the next step is to turn me into a poster, which another friend whose nom de MySpace is Poetman, accomplished:






He gave it the title of "Integrity" (pretty flattering, all in all). He also did a number on a picture of my dog, Dingo:





And that about sums it up, doggone it!

No comments: